I just happened to stumble across this short clip today -- 404 Pages becoming a new relationship building opportunity. Those dead-links that used to make companies seem uncaring and unprofessional are starting to turn from unappealing black-and-white sites into relatable, laughable, and sometimes wittily put expressions that tell readers companies know what they are going through with a 404. While I think I would still be put off by deadlinks, I think this is a pretty smart move and would appreciate the extra thoughts and brand personalities for the extra laugh or two.
http://www.ted.com/talks/renny_gleeson_404_the_story_of_a_page_not_found.html
Awesome find Michelle! These companies are doing a great job at taking advantage of what is typically a lost opportunity and making the most out of it. They're retaining customers and fans that might otherwise have been "money left on the table;" similar to penetrating a new market of customers.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this! I have seen this video before but I wasn't working on startups back then, so I understand the value more now. Startups lack the brand equity and marketing budget big companies have and for them, every single tiniest opportunity matters. I think 404 page could become a great marketing tool.
ReplyDelete