Monday, September 9, 2013

Extra's new commercial - Origami


Extra, the gum company, just recently launched this commercial, which definitely tries to tap into the consumer's emotions. Rather than the gum, this commercial seems centered on the father-daughter relationship enriched by the paper crane gum wrappers that were gifts or pick-me-ups for his daughter as she grew up. I personally think it is inventive and effective because they are no longer just relying on the physical/sensory attributes of the gum, but the experience that comes along with it.

Other thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I feel like it is a little contrived. What does the relationship between a father and daughter have to do with gum? Gum isn't really something that is comforting when you're sad. I just have a hard time associating the story and images to the product. I do think it is probably memorable because of the cranes, which was "cute". However, I don't see what cranes have to do with gum either. Lastly, their line "Give extra, get extra"... I couldn't take seriously. It completely threw me from the mood of the commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that a company with "commodity products" tries to go beyond its traditional ad theme (rather functional) and to build an emotional bonding with consumers. It's quite similar to Charmin's strategic focus on engaging consumers on emotions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete