Kia has run this campaign for several years now, and it's still going. This particular video is one of the more memorable ones in my opinion, though it's a few years old now. Targeting their market by essentially using the product name as a slogan, these ads are meant to capture the feeling of 'Soul' and breaking the mold of more conventional cars.
While attention-grabbing, I've never really seen myself drawing a strong brand connection with Kia or Soul. I just don't think it's a good product representation, but given the length of the campaign, it does seem to resonate with some consumers.
I have never seen the rest of the ads for this campaign, but this looks very cheesy to me. I felt like this would fit better to a different (younger) age group. I agree with you that I couldn't connect with the brand.
ReplyDeleteI just came across this ad for Kia and thought it was interesting because they are in some sense completely reinventing their appearance while still keeping the same brand connection that consumers are comfortable with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJiGF_Groo
ReplyDeleteI think introducing a new product or improved product in tandem with a new marketing approach worked well in this ad!