Friday, November 1, 2013

Impressions of brands

Hey y'all,

This is a link of popular brands and products with funny slogans that more accurately describe consumers' impressions.  It's interesting how some of these made-up slogans describe the marketing plight of certain brands in just a couple words, for example Pepsi. As was discussed in class, despite consumer preference for the actual flavor of Pepsi in blind taste tests, most consumers still prefer Coca-Cola in their purchase decision. Enjoy.


http://twentytwowords.com/2013/10/17/famous-brands-updated-with-honest-taglines-21-pictures/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alessandra,

    I found this link pretty interesting and useful for our understanding of how high brand equity can influence our perceptions of a product. As we learned in class, the symbols and emblems comprising a company's brand are used to help consumers identify the product or service that the company offers. But more importantly, a successful brand image -- one with high equity -- will connote quality or other positive attributes to the consumer, possibly distracting us from the product's inferior or more realistic qualities. And as all the companies on this site have obviously branded themselves well, placing our actual experiences with their products alongside their brand symbol can reveal a very interesting discord. For instance, Nature Valley bars are actually very annoying to eat because of all the crumbs, but when I think of the brand I am only reminded of the health benefits the company promotes. Further, I also dislike how I always poke through the Capri Sun pouch with my straw, but the brand has successfully reinforced its fun nature. Thus, this link really provides insight into how powerful brands can improve our perceptions of their products and distract us from their realistic, dissatisfying qualities.

    Two side notes:
    -I found it funny that Professor Chun's husband is not the only one who looks around at Best Buy and then buys the product on Amazon
    -With regard to Pepsi, I've definitely suffered from the deprivation effect here at Cornell, as only drinking Pepsi has made me long for Coke's sweeter taste...

    ReplyDelete