Monday, September 30, 2013

Marketing Brands: Coca-Cola and Apple

While studying for today's prelim I came across an article featured on the Yahoo.com homepage talking specifically about brands. The real story is the fact that Coca-Cola is no longer the world's most valuable brand, having been "dethroned" by Apple. The change in the rankings follows a 13-year streak for Coca-Cola and estimates the value of the soda-maker at $79.2 billion, while Apple has a brand value of nearly $98.3 billion.

Of note is the fact that Google moved into the number two spot on this list, up from fourth last year. Five of the top ten brands are technology firms, further solidifying the increasing role of such companies in our everyday lives.

When we think about some of these specific brands, what comes to mind? What images and feelings are invoked and how does that relate back to a company's success?

Here's the link to the original story:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-passes-coca-cola-most-232758587.html

1 comment:

  1. I read the article and I was quite surprised because the change can be thought in terms of the value propositions these companies offer: Simplifying every day activities vs. satisfying essential needs with a taste of happiness. Do people need technology more than food or drinks? I don't think so, but the marketing power shows that people value (or care about) doing things efficiently more than every day life things.

    Also, Coca-Cola is in 207 countries and needs a lot of physical presence to operate whereas it is much easier for tech companies as long as the internet setup is there. I think this enables them to focus on marketing (especially through internet).

    ReplyDelete